Touch, sight, and smell are key tools in determining if a water problem threatens your home.
It’s not unusual for a homeowner to call their local BDry™ waterproofing office to say that they suspect a water problem in their basement or around the foundation of their home. BDry™ consultants are trained to look for telltale symptoms of a wet basement, and they employ many of the senses to detect these issues.
- Smell. Often the nose helps homeowner and BDry™ consultant alike to notice a problem. In the basement or a confined crawlspace, do you detect a musty odor? Does your nose pick up the scent of mildew? While the BDry™ system alone can’t solve the odor problems, these signs could be a hint of water problems in the home.
- Sight. With a powerful light, check floors for cracks, or load-bearing walls for stair-step cracks. Are gaps forming where wall and floor come together? Are walls bowing in? If so, call the BDry™ office immediately.
- Touch. Do you feel water around floor and wall cracks? Is water seeping in through the pores of concrete block? Do your basement walls seem to be wet?
- Sound. After a heavy rainstorm, do you hear the sound of water behind walls, or beneath floors?
- “Sixth sense.” Perhaps you are not definitely sure, but something “feels” wrong about your basement or foundation. Don’t dismiss this feeling without scheduling an appointment with the BDry™ office near you.
Our human senses are the first line in detecting a wet basement. Your BDry™ consultant carries an array of tools to define water issues. BDry™ staff can best assess what factors may be at work in threatening your home’s foundation, basement, or crawlspace.
For many residents, their home is their biggest financial asset. Protect your investment, and preserve your peace of mind. Contact your local office of BDry waterproofing today to schedule a no-obligation home consultation.